Billing Redesign


Billing Redesign

Due to the impending merger, Spectrum had over 9 billing systems to consolidate and 6 different billing interfaces to consolidate. The Merger and Acquisition team approached the design team with a task to set out and design a consolidated billing platform that will meet the needs of both residential and business users alike.

UX Discovery

During the first UX sprint, we performed card sorts, competitive analyses, and journey maps based on our user personas to narrow down the scope of work and focus in on the features that customers want and need.


After defining our feature set and journey maps, we set-to-task of designing a billing page that will meet the needs of all existing and new customers. After frequent ad-hoc user testing and whiteboarding sessions, we were ready to take it into formal user testing.


Initial UI Phase

We started to produce lo-fi UI mockups to start the user testing process before investing too much time into an untested design.

User Testing and Prototyping

Due to the high-visibility and traffic of Billing pages, Spectrum required extreme levels of UI vetting. Bringing in outside research and testing consultants, we put our prototype through rigorous testing.

Final UI Phase

Our initial rough UI tested well but it was lacking hierarchy and contrast. Working with our Art director we worked to implement some of the new design system treatment into our UI. After a few more rounds of reviews and tweaks, we were ready to work with Devs and BAs to finalize the user stories.

Delivery, Launch, and Results

As with all our handoffs, we deliver detailed zeplin files, invision prototypes, and design interaction notes. I would work with the devs individually to tighten up developed designs and interactions till the ideal interface was reached.

When the billing redesign was launched we saw an 11% increase in billing flow completion, over a 4% increase in online billing usage, and 400% increase in auto pay enrollments after 3 months of usage data.